Good evening, or good very early morning, whatever it is it's the middle of the night!
I believe that I have mentioned that I live in Southern California where it is usually beautiful, warm, sunny and the weather changes are mild. If you were to turn on the T.V. tonight you would be bombarded with "Storm Watch" News! Oh my goodness it is RAINING in California, we might melt.....just kidding!
It is actually serious because we are so unaccustomed to this kind of rain (you know more than 15 min and expecting more than 1 inch!), that everyone forgets how to drive which makes California VERY dangerous because we all live in our cars. On top of that there is the huge (and very real) issue of the areas that were burned in the last couple seasons of wildfires as the potential for flooding is great and can do a lot of damage very quickly to those barren hillsides. With all that said, I am up in the middle of the night because the RAIN woke me (can you even imagine!??!).
So, now that I am up because of the rain, I of course turn on the T.V. so that I am prepared for the storm and up to date on the news. Now, I know that the opinion I am about to express may not be the most popular but well....heck it is my own blog and I can write what I want, right??
I am very sad about what is happening in Haiti, for the loss of life, for the lack of care, for the lack of food, shelter, resources and so much more. I am also reflecting back a few years to Katrina, we were unable to help our own in a reasonable amount of time and we are flying to the other side of the world to offer assistance........AGAIN?? The old saying that charity starts at home really rings true at this moment to me. We are in the midst of unprecidented job loss, hunger, loss of homes, lack of insurance, there are children in need HERE!!!! Am I wrong?
Why is the USA always the 1st to go and help and no-one rushes to our aid? Why is it our responsability to make sure that every other countries acts of G-D become part of the debt of the United States? I see so few others rushing to assist. Where were they when Katrina hit, in 1994 for the earthquake in Northridge, where were they when Taliband terrorists hijacked our planes and ran them into buildings? Who came to our aid? Did I miss it?
I wish no-one harm, least of all the people of Haiti who live in one of the most challanging economies, political unrest and poverty and as much as I want their homes rebuilt, medical attention for all that need it and food to warm their tummy's I want it for here too~from our government that so freely gives it away.
California is experiencing the worst economy that we have possibly ever. We are a state in debt where programs are cut from our schools, jobs are lost and those that have jobs with the government are struggeling due to ferlow days. Yet, we have no issue and waste not a second to send every supply we can think of, our amazing rescue teams and equiptment to go help.
In the end, I would likley do it as well, as I always do (just ask my husband) but I would like to think that we would take care of our own first and I do not believe we saw that with Katrina. Thoughts to chew on..
With all that said, Sports Chalet is collecting used shoes from men, women and children to send to the people in the areas of distruction. I personally do not believe in donating to the Red Cross as too little of the money that they raise actually goes to the cause, but to each his own, right??!!
To all those in CA, save a few pennies this week and turn off your sprinklers as we will not be needing them with the torrential downpour we are experiencing. Take your time on the roads and leave a little earlier so that you are not rushed on those slippery, flooded streets and freeways. Bundle up, take your umbrella, keep your feet warm and check in again soon!
Love,
Heather
Monday, January 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment