I studied the pictures, looked at the car on line, studied other cakes I could find of the same style and decided I would just have to dig in. Nothing like practical experience. I had an ace in my pocket as my very good friend Michelle and I had a date to make cookies and she is an AMAZING GLUTEN FREE BAKER - MOMMIES out there are you listening, maybe I should say it again..Michelle is an AMAZING gluten free baker, our date just happened to be on the day I now had 2 cakes due!! (whoo-hoo!!)
What a gift to have someone else here with a really great eye to talk through this cake!! I took this giant cake out of the freezer and started cutting (much easier to carve a frozen cake).
This was a big cake to start with a full sheet~I kept cutting and carving, took a step back we looked at it, shaved off edges and molded the body until we both looked at it and said that we thought it was the right shape. Wow, one huge step done! Next was mixing the black fondant and rolling it out. (I really want a sheeting machine...hint, hint!) When we laid the fondant over the cake and smoothed it out it was time to do the happy dance, it really looked like a car!
Details, details, details. The details make all the difference, Michelle went to work on the side view mirrors and rolling out fondant for the windows while I carved the body details into the shape and started the paint work.
Etai was so excited about the lollipops that he was taste testing right away! He is sooo adorable~ yummy boy!
I am looking forward to getting some photos from Sara at the party when Shai saw the cake. I loved making it was was really happy with the results.
I am so fortunate as this was not the only cake of the day. Stacey from Parties by Stacey (fantastic entertainer - any character you could want she can have attend your childs party call her at 818-385-0000 or http://www.partiesbystacey.com/!!!!) called Thursday evening saing OMG ^&*)Y&* my husbands birthday is tomorrow...can you make a cake!! For Stacey, a good friend and who rescued me when I needed an Ariel costume a couple of Halloween's ago, of course (and thnakfully she did not want anything as elaborate as the car cake). Off to bake I went and here is the result..
Notice the fantastic soccer ball and football flying through the air...(that is Michelle at work!!). This was a really fun cake to make and all she told me was that he coaches soccer and loves football. Why not share the field??
I had a fantastic and fun day of cake making and I love that I have this avenue to share it with all of you. I appreciate all the feedback I have received and welcome all the comments both private and public. You keep telling me that you want to see the progression of the cakes and I am happy to share.
On Monday I will have a drawing from all of the followers for a few fun St. Patrick's Day goodies, please sign up as a follower and tell your friends!
Wishing you a yummy Saturday!
♥ Heather
You are amazing. What an artiste! Truly. Great job.
ReplyDelete