Monday, November 16, 2009

Mommy, this is yummy in my tummy! (Pumpkin Soup and a few other tasty treats)

After a full day of making sure that what I can get done is actually done, I crawl into bed and think.....CRAP~ I never updated my blog!!! I have realized that I must put it on my daily "to-do" list to ensure that I make this a part of my routine. There is just so much everyday to share with you..

A few nights ago I went on a bit of a cooking binge and after watching countless "Food Network" shows on different soups of the season, I plunged in. For whatever reason roasting a pumpkin sounded like a good idea and off to the market I went. With little more then an idea, I somehow created a soup that made Evan say, "Mommy, this is yummy in my tummy"!! Ahhh, music to my ears..


Astoundly enough, David liked it as well!!! Be still my beating heart! Here is a photo of my boy's taken this past weekend. Evan got his first "Fo-Hawk" and Debbie the hairdresser decided to color it red for shock value.. which worked and because Evan got all giddy about it.


I was not as thrilled about the color as I was told it would last 6 weeks (and we have a wedding next weekend). But I quickly came to understand it was a big joke on Mommy who was not there for the haircut. I was at Candy Class......deep breath in and sigh~the happy place!


Before I get sidetracked by candy, cakes and other yummy treats I want to share this recipe I created with you: Pumpkin Orzo Soup~

Heat oven to 425 degrees.
1 Medium to small fresh pumpkin (not a baking pumpkin)
2 Shallotts chopped up
1 leak stem chopped up
5 c. chicken broth
1/2 stick butter
3 tbsp. sour cream
olive oil
salt
black pepper
white pepper
garlic powder
1/2 box orzo
Shreaded Parmesan cheese

Take pumpkin and carve out top (just like doing a jack-o-lantern). Remove all seads and inside goo (do you like that technical term?). Put pumpkin on a cookie sheet lined with foil and put in the oven for approx. 45-50 min. (it could take longer or shorter depending on the size of your pumpkin so please check regularly). When pumpkin is soft and can be pierced with a fork it is ready. Remove from oven and let rest. After about 10 min. slice down the sides to open up like a flower. Cut out all the meat and chunk it leaving the skin.

In a soup pot line the bottom with olive oil. Use enought to coat the bottom of the pan plus a little ex-tra. Warm the pot. Chop up the shallotts and leak and toss them in adding butter, a bit of salt, black pepper and garlic powder to flavor. (flavor at each step). When leaks and shallotts are almost clear add in pumpkin, stir in. Add chicken stock and allow to simmer for about 15-20 min stirring regularly. If needed add a little more stock depending on the consistancy you like your soup. Stir in the sour cream. Using a hand blender~carefully~blend the entire mixture until smooth. Add the Orzo and let simmer until rice (pasta) becomes soft.
After about 30 min of simmering check flavor and add as needed, salt and a little white pepper. If you like a kick to it add a little cyanne!! Serve with shredded Parmesan on top. Here is a photo of the finished product. Yummy!!!!!



This past weekend David's family was hosting a reception "open house" for his step-sister who just got married. I offered to do the cakes for the event. I had really wanted to do a "quilted" cake so this was a great opportunity to test it out.. Ta-Daa!

Last week I could move photos wherever I wanted them to go and this week I am apparently not the boss of the photos as they are not cooperating in my placement. Uggggggh, technology!

There was another cake done for the reception as well (and, yes I am afraid to add the pictures but here goes..)



There are other photos but this is just too frustrating, so the 3 will have to do. I am not sure what exactly changed in the last couple of weeks with this program but something sure did!! There were other goodies made these past few days, a lime fruit tart that is amazing and thanks to Paula Dean, lamb chops and a delicious side dish of mashed sweet potatoes. Yummy and easy, a favorite combination. If you are ever looking for a fast and easy side dish that is great anytime, try this~

Buy enough potatoes (1 for each person) of either sweet potatoes or yams bake in the oven for 45-50 min at about 375 degrees or until very soft. Remove them from the oven and let them cool for about 10 min. Cut lengthwise and another cut across the middle. Scoop out all the insides to a bowl. Add lots of butter, some brown sugar and vanilla sugar (I do cook healthy for the most part but some things...you know they just have to be GOOD!! Sweet potatoes are fantastic right out of the oven, this just adds a little delish to the meal) Mash together adding more of any of the 3 to your taste. Everyone loves this and it is also great for holiday meals.

On another sweet note, I have officially been bitten by the candy bug! Darn you Shelly and Denise at Kake Kreations! Now, not only do I think about baking all the time but I dream about the chocolates that I can make to dress it up! I made my first homemade batch of Ganach the other evening and it is divine! I am going to test out Truffles next as I got 3-4 different recipes from Shelly the other day that I can not wait to try.

I'll just put this out there now, if you know me...you are getting treats for the holidays because I have spent all my ex-tra money on candy making supplies. Really, it just makes me giddy - I thought cake was good and then add candy to it and I am thinking that a 3 step program might be necessary! I keep asking Denise for a frequent buyer card~ come on friends out there back me on this! Just as a side note and a dangerous one at that....Saturdays at Kake Kreations they hold a FREE, yes FREE candy and goody class 9:30-11:30 and I can tell you that it is amazing.

With all this said, I am still in termoil about work. Very worried about my friend Steve and my Uncle Fred is having surgery in a few weeks. More on that to follow on a later post.

We are going to the desert this weekend for a wedding, it will be nice to be away with both Evan and David for a couple of days and hoping for a better trip then Hawaii. I bought Evan a tie, dress shirt and slacks for the event. He was thrilled and wanted to wear his "work" clothes to school the next day. "Daddy wears them", he shouted at me as I stood there telling him he could not wear them to school. Between that the "fo-hawk" and "boyfume" (cologne) for 4 he is relatively high maintenance. Darn good thing he is adorable!

For some reason the pictures are not totally in focus, but you get the general idea. He is too freaking cute for words!

I must sign off now and get a couple more things done so I can crawl into bed. Tomorrow is a new day and I would like to say that I will see you then!

Goodnight all, sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment